1) Visit as many selected memorials as you want, with whatever route you choose, between April 1 and October 31.
2) Visit any seven memorial sites to receive a Finisher’s certificate.
3) Trophies are awarded to the first three riders to visit all seven memorials in a state, or all sites in a region. In the event of a tie (when two or more riders complete together), there is a limit of four trophies per state, but additional trophies will be available for $20 each. There's a maximum of two trophies per rider.
Trophy award submissions must be ALL AT THE SAME TIME, either in one email or several emails within five minutes of each other. Trophies are awarded based on when photos are submitted, not necessarily when sites are visited.
4) The Top 10 finishers, based on number of selected sites visited, will be awarded flag #s 1-10 the following year. Pillions are eligible, see Rule 6. Visits to Doughboys, Statues of Liberty, and other rides are not considered for Top 10 placement.
A “Jack Shoalmire Award Challenge” plaque will be presented to the rider who visits the most selected sites during the 4/1–10/31 riding season. The Jack Shoalmire Award Challenge winner will also receive a free registration and #1 flag in next year’s Tour of Honor.
In case of a tie in Top 10 finishers, flag #s will be determined by who is first to submit their last photo.
5) If you find someone else’s rally flag left behind, leave it there, a rider may be on their way back for it. If YOU lose one, let us know at email@example.com and another one will be mailed for a $20 fee. A facsimile of your rally flag (ask us for one) can be used until you receive the replacement.
6) Photograph your rally flag, motorcycle and memorial together unless unsafe or restricted access. Photos should be clear and recognizable, and at an angle similar to what’s on Tour of Honor Google Maps. Scorers will have the final say on all submissions. Photos must be submitted by 12 midnight Eastern time, November 1, 2017.
Note: Pillion photos must include either the pillion or the rider.
7) IMPORTANT: If the motorcycle can’t fit in the photo because of restricted access, or any other reason, you must submit 2 photos: one with the rally flag and memorial, and a second one of your rally flag and motorcycle as close to the memorial as possible. Submit a maximum of 2 photos per site.
8) Not all memorials are accessible 24/7. If a memorial is unavailable due to maintenance, road closure, or other circumstances beyond your control, take a photo of your rally flag and motorcycle at the nearest access point, preferably with a sign mentioning the memorial. For trophy submissions, sites MUST be visited during open hours.
9) Submit photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also mail analog photos or on media to: Tour of Honor, 2280 Grass Valley Hwy., #273, Auburn, CA 95603. Snail mail submissions will take longer to process.
Try to keep emailed submissions 1-2 Megabytes. Use the Medium setting on iPhone. Large file sizes may be rejected by email servers.
Naming convention: 2017_rider#_memorial#.jpg, ie. 2017_145_TX1.jpg
If submitting by cameraphone or one-per-email, naming convention should be in subject line.
Naming convention for Doughboy submissions: 2017_rider#_DB_cityname_state.jpg, ie. 2017_145_DB_Dallas_TX.jpg
Naming convention for Statue of Liberty submissions: 2017_rider#_SL_cityname_state.jpg, ie. 2017_145_SL_Dallas_TX.jpg
Naming convention for Chasing Madonna submissions:
2017_rider#_MTr#.jpg, ie. 2017_145_MTr1.jpg
10) REMINDER: THIS IS A SELF-DIRECTED RIDE AND WHATEVER DECISIONS YOU MAKE REGARDING VISITING THE SUGGESTED SITES ARE YOURS. MOTORCYCLING IS INHERENTLY UNSAFE AND TOUR OF HONOR ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR RIDERS AND THEIR SAFETY.
Riders who combine TOH rides with documented Iron Butt rides will receive special certificates and recognition from the Iron Butt Association. Learn more on the IBA page.
Upon submission, photos and rights to photo usage become the property of Tour of Honor. You are invited to share your photos on the Tour of Honor forum and the Tour of Honor Facebook page.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who determines what states and memorials to visit?
The State Sponsors select the sites. Everyone is welcome to make suggestions.
Will it always be individual states?
Not always, some smaller states are combined into regions with four sites per state. Regions include New England, Mid-Atlantic, and the Dakotas.
Are passengers eligible for separate trophies?
No. Passengers are eligible for Finishers certificates and Top 10 finishes, but not separate trophies. Passenger names will be included on a trophy along with Rider's name, if they visited the same winning sites as the Rider.
What happens if I don't visit all the sites?
Nothing other than hopefully having the experience of visiting at least one.
What kind of memorials and monuments are there?
U.S. memorials that honor the brave people who protect -- or have protected -- our life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Some are local, some are national, all are rewarding and interesting.
Why should we pay for a registration when the destinations are on the website?
For one thing, it includes a $20 donation to the riders choice of veterans charities. Then there's the t-shirt, finishers certificates, trophies and mailing costs. Maybe in ten years we'll recoup the hours put into the initial setup. :-) And hopefully you'll take advantage of the sense of community here.
If I change my mind, can I get a refund?
Yes, you can get a refund up until the time the T-shirt and rally flag are mailed. We will deduct the $20 donation to your choice of charity, and a $10 aggravation fee. Refunds won't be given after the T-shirt and rally flag are mailed.
Love the theme, how can I help?
If you're interested, there are a number of ways you can help. Suggest an advertiser on the website. Suggest memorials. Invite your friends. Submit a post on motorcycle forums.
And if you're familiar with several memorial sites in your state and can provide photos and writeups, please email us, saying you're interested in sponsoring your state or region.
What are the rules to qualify for Finishers certificates and trophies?
Rules will be mailed with the T-shirt and rally flag, but the most complete set of Rules are ON THIS PAGE.
Basically, photos must be submitted that include three things: the memorial from an angle similar to that on the website, your rally flag, and your motorcycle. It won't always be possible to ride your motorcycle up to the memorial, and in that instance, two photos must be submitted: one with the memorial and your rally flag, and one nearby with your motorcycle and your rally flag. It should be obvious that your motorcycle was at least *near* the memorial. Your rally flag should be in all photos submitted.
Decisions about evidence of visiting sites will be at the discretion of the scorekeepers and if it's not clear from the photographs, you may be asked to return to take new photos. This will be critical when competing for trophies.
How do we submit the photos?
Digital photos or prints are accepted. Digital submissions can be on CD, DVD, SD cards or thumb drives, in JPEG or TIFF formats. Mail photos to the address given in the Rules. Emailed photos or cameraphone photos can be sent to email@example.com. Naming conventions are included in the Rules.
For those who want to share their photos, you can always post them on the riders forum and/or the Tour of Honor Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TourofHonor.
When will the trophies and Finishers certificates be sent out?
Trophies will be sent in two batches, one in September, and one after the season ends on October 31. Winners are encouraged to pick up trophies at the Awards Banquet. Finishers certificates will be mailed after the season ends.
Can a tie for trophies be considered for two riders finishing together?
Yes. If two riders finish together, a tie will be awarded and the next trophy place eliminated. In the event of ties, there is a maximum of four (4) trophies per state/region. If more than two riders finish together, additional trophies can be purchased for $20 each.
How will we know what trophies are still available?
A Finishers page will be updated daily that will show what trophies have been claimed and what is still available.
What if we can't access a memorial site?
There might be restricted access to some sites, mostly because of hours of operation, and it is up to riders to determine that ahead of time. Photos for trophy submissions must be taken during hours of operation.
But if a site is closed due to maintenance, road closures, security precautions or other reasons making it impossible to visit, take a photo of a nearby sign for the site, along with your bike and rally flag.
What happens if I lose my rally flag?
You will be allowed credit for memorials with a facsimile of your flag (your rider number on a piece of paper will do) for up to one week after we hear of the loss. Additional memorials will require a replacement flag. Email us for a replacement and one will be mailed to you at a cost of $20.
What happens if I come across someone else's rally flag left behind?
If this happens, leave it there because someone may be returning for it shortly. If you can, email us the location and the rider number and we'll put the word out.
Do you target a particular type of rider or motorcycle brand?
Absolutely not. We want to include anyone who likes to ride AND respects what others have done for their community and country.
Can I use different motorcycles?
Yes. No problem...no penalty...no need to notify us. But if you want to change your motorcycle listed on the Rider List, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I register a passenger later in the season?
Yes. Go to the Registration page and fill out the persons name in the upper portion (Riders part). Under "Motorcycle" put your name and rider number. Click "Submit now," and on the Payment page, select "Passenger Added Later." We'll mail their packet to whatever address you entered on the Registration page.